Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Customer service is a disservice these days

When it came to customer relations, my late mother, Rita Carrier, hailed from the old school.

Rita worked in various banks in my hometown of Southbridge, Mass., for more than 50 years. She did this until she was well into her 80s. During most of that time, she had direct contact with the public.
 
She was unfailingly polite and pleasant, even solicitous, when dealing with the bank’s customers, no matter how confused or argumentative or pugnacious they might be. She always answered the phone with a cheery lilt to her voice.
 

This came to mind the other day when I stopped in at a big-box store that shall remain nameless (okay, you beat it out of me: Target) to return a piece of furniture that my wife Liz had ordered from the chain’s web site. The item - a small table - was damaged when it was delivered to our house, so I was bringing it in for a refund.

The young woman at the service desk probably was in her late 20s. Her nose was pierced, but I tried not to be judgmental, even though piercings, like tattoos, drive me nuts. All I really cared about at that point was getting a refund without any hassle.

The clerk listened to my explanation, quickly examined the table, and agreed that a refund was in order. A few keystrokes later, I had a return slip in hand and an assurance that the purchase, which Liz had charged to her Target card, would be deducted from her next bill.

Piece of cake. Liz loves shopping at Target, and I have no doubt the refund will turn up, as promised. Still, something gnawed at me as I left the store. It had to do with how the clerk handled herself during our brief interaction.
 
She was efficient and competent. But she also was indifferent, reducing civility to its bare essentials as something detached and mechanical. Her blank, stony facial expression did not waver. She never made eye contact, never apologized for my inconvenience at having to return the table. She didn’t thank me for my business, or urge me to stop in again, or display anything even vaguely resembling a smile.

I wouldn’t say she was rude, exactly, although her behavior did fit the dictionary definition of “not having or showing concern or respect for the rights and feelings of other people.” I was simply another transaction to be completed, another problem to be solved, another inconsequential person to be moved along.
 

Nowadays, that attitude is by no means unique to this particular clerk, or this particular chain of stores. It's more the rule than the exception. The retail and service sectors have changed with the times, and not for the better. Rita Carrier would be appalled.

No comments:

Post a Comment