Thursday, November 19, 2015

Finding a link between a person's birthday and favorite season



I've often wondered, in November, if other people also feel most at peace during the season when they were born.

My birthday is coming up on Nov. 22, and as much as I enjoy all four seasons, I have a strong but hard-to-describe attachment to this spot on the calendar. It isn’t autumn, per se, that holds me in its grasp, but more precisely what I think of as late autumn, a very particular period between the glorious beauty of fall foliage and the first significant snowfall.

It’s a time of year when early-morning frost and gray skies are not uncommon, the trees are bare at long last, and -- most importantly -- the forest floor is covered by a brown carpet of dry, faded leaves. 

This transitional season within a season speaks to me. As I gaze at denuded oaks and maples and at the fallen leaves that blanket hillsides, gullies and ravines, some inner voice tells me this is my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment