Thursday, July 7, 2011

There are two kinds of people in the world

Maine has long billed itself as “Vacationland” - we even had the slogan on our license plates for a while. Having lived in Maine for 25 years now, I should be accustomed to the inane things vacationers say while visiting our state, but their foolishness continues to amaze me.

My wife Liz and I were having lunch the other day at a restaurant that is popular with “the summer people,” and we couldn’t help overhearing snippets of conversation from the next table, where a seriously overweight tourist was holding forth for his three companions. I know he was a tourist because (1) he had a southern accent and (2) he had that unmistakable "we're just passing through" air about him.

“This state is a ski resort in the winter and a playground in the summer,” the boisterous buffoon proclaimed with great authority. His brook-no-opposition tone indicated there was nothing more to be said on the subject.


So there you have it. The entire state of Maine is nothing more than a 35,385 square mile amusement park, according to our portly guest. And the 1.3 million people who actually live here? Just a bunch of ticket takers, ride operators and concession-stand workers, apparently. Such a one-dimensional outlook about tourism in Maine is akin to assuming that the auto industry is Michigan, the Kentucky Derby is Kentucky, Niagara Falls is New York and Sarah Palin is Alaska.

I don’t claim to be an expert on the history, politics, economy and culture of every place I visit in my travels. No doubt I have my own preconceived notions, some of which may well be goofy misconceptions. But I try not to flaunt my ignorance, at least not in a manner that is loud and boorish enough to transform me into The Ugly Tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment