Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A springless springtime in central Maine

We are having an unusually cold spring this year here in central Maine. April was a chilly washout, and although May has been marginally better so far, the temperature readings have been erratic, and often unpleasant. The scarf and winter gloves are back in storage, but I'm keeping my winter coat handy, with good reason.

That's all by way of preface to the following.

We have two large, rectangular compost bins in our backyard. Normally at this time of year, if I dig far enough into one or both bins I'll find plenty of black, crumbly, nutrient-rich compost, perfectly timed for use in our flower and vegetable gardens. But not this year. When I started digging yesterday, I got down to about 18-20 inches. Everything below that was frozen solid.


No comments:

Post a Comment