Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Enjoying a close encounter of the canine kind

When I walked into a store in Portland, Maine, yesterday, there was a tall, fit, clean-cut man dressed in dark clothing standing near the entrance, with a yellow lab resting at his feet. My first impression was that he was a cop, but I wasn’t sure because I saw no badge, cap, shoulder patch or gun.

One of my guiding principles is never pass up a chance to pet a dog, so I walked up to the man and asked if I could do just that. He smiled and nodded. As I reached down to the dog, I asked the man if he was a police officer. 

“Yes,” he replied. “I am. He is. We both are.” That’s when I noticed a police badge on the dog’s harness, near his chest. “He’s a great dog,” the officer said, beaming with obvious pride and devotion. “I just love him to bits.”

My day was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment