Thursday, January 24, 2019

A reminder to cherish our dogs, while we still can

I was walking our 13-year-old chocolate lab Aquinnah yesterday morning when I crossed paths with a woman who was taking her 13-year-dog outside. She and I had spoken before, so I already knew her dog is deaf and blind.

This always pleasant, talkative woman makes observations about her dog -- and mine -- whenever we happen to meet on the street near her house, and yesterday was no exception. She said her aged and infirm dog still has the presence of mind to routinely feign the need for a walk, because the medium-sized mixed breed knows she’ll get a treat once they’re back in the house. Whether she did her "business" or not.

“I guess the appetite is the last thing to go,” I said.

“Apparently so,” the woman replied. “We’re grateful for every day we get.”

Isn’t that the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment