Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"The Big Bang Theory" and the joys of car ownership


The engine light on our 12-year-old Toyota Rav4 came to life several days ago and stayed on. So I brought the car to my trustworthy mechanic to find out what the problem was. The answer? The sensor that controls the light needed to be replaced, meaning the problem involved the light, not the engine.

In which case, why not ignore the wonky light, to save a few bucks? You're probably already a step ahead of me here. Unless the sensor was replaced, the light would continue to go on periodically, or stay on permanently, leaving me wondering the next time around if the cause was simply the balky sensor or actual engine trouble.

So I had a new sensor installed, with good and bad consequences. The light doesn't flip on at random anymore. But my wallet is about $350 lighter, thanks, in part, to complications that occurred when the mechanic first tried to remove the old sensor, which did not want to budge.

Despite the cost, I didn’t hesitate to have the light checked out and fixed. Amazingly, that decision suggests I have something in common with - of all people - Sheldon Cooper!

For those of you who are not fans of The Big Bang Theory, a CBS sitcom, Sheldon is a university physicist whose friends tolerate the fact that he’s an inflexible and insufferable know-it-all with no social skills and few redeeming qualities. Why? Because he happens to be a genius.

Not the kind of guy to whom I would normally liken myself. For one thing, I'm no Einstein. Still, I'm reminded of a scene from the show in which Penny, Sheldon’s easygoing neighbor, gets roped into driving him to work. (Sheldon, who has few practical talents, doesn’t drive.)

“Your check engine light is on,” Sheldon says to an indifferent Penny, who mumbles an acknowledgement.

Sheldon: “Typically that’s an indicator. To, you know, check your engine.”

Penny: “It’s fine, it’s been on for, like, a month.”

Sheldon: “Well, actually, that would be all the more reason to, you know, check your engine.”

Penny: “Sheldon, it’s fine.”

Sheldon: “If it were fine, the light wouldn’t be on. That’s why the manufacturer installed that light, to let you know it’s not fine.”

Penny: “Uh, maybe the light’s broken.”

Sheldon: “Is there a check the check engine light light”?


No comments:

Post a Comment