Tuesday, July 16, 2013

New French health study: sometimes, you just can't win

As someone who retired a few years ago, I was intrigued by a new French study that claims delaying retirement keeps the brain active, which can help reduce the risk of dementia. The study by the French government’s health agency says that, with each additional year of work, the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia is reduced by 3.2 percent.

I was so burned out by the time I called it quits that I assume if I’d stayed on the job much longer I’d be serving multiple prison sentences by now for having murdered assorted past and present bosses in a rage-induced killing spree. Yet by averting that turn of events, I now risk becoming demented sooner.

Not exactly a win-win. Of course, some people might argue that I lost my cognitive abilities a long time ago. They just haven't told me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment