Saturday, June 29, 2013

When did "please" and "thank you" become anachronisms?

After picking out some shorts and a pair of jeans at a big-box store the other day, I pulled out a credit card to pay for my purchases. The sharp-eyed clerk quickly noticed that I was not using a card issued by her retail chain, so she asked me if I wanted to get her store's credit card.

“No, thank you,” I replied.

“Okay,” she said with a smile. “Thanks for being so polite about it.”

I certainly didn't object to being thanked, but it struck me as telling. Apparently, this woman is so unaccustomed to getting a polite response to her credit-card pitch that, when it happens, it merits a display of gratitude. Have we finally reached a point where common courtesy is so exotic it’s worthy of mention on those rare occasions when it pokes its head through the mire?


I guess I missed the memo announcing that civility is on the endangered species list, but I have to admit I'm not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment