Saturday, December 3, 2011

Life: Not just a bowl of cherries

Whoever described life as "a bowl of cherries" must have been truly clueless. At times, our stay on this planet is a wondrous and joyful thing, but pain, suffering and anguish are part of the formula as well.

I got in line to check out at the supermarket the other day and found myself behind a woman who knew the cashier. They struck me as acquaintances rather than friends, and they obviously had not seen each other in quite a while. So they did a quick catching up while the cashier rang up the other woman's handful of purchases.

I remember their conversation quite well, because it was short and, I thought, dramatic. Yet both women spoke quietly and matter-of-factly, even while making heartbreaking revelations. Perhaps they would have spoken longer, and more animatedly, if I had not been waiting in line. Or maybe not. After all, we're still blessed with some people who have no use for melodrama, and no inclination toward self-pity.


Cashier: "How are you doing?"

Customer: "Okay."

Cashier: "How's your husband?"

Customer: "He died."

Cashier: "Oh, I'm sorry! What happened?"

Customer: "Cancer. (Long pause.) How's your mother?"

Cashier: "Oh, she has Alzheimer's now. She's living with someone who takes good care of her, though."

Customer: "Oh my. I'm sorry." (Pays for purchases.)

Cashier: "Yeah. Well, have a good day." (Gives customer her change.)

Customer: "You too. Bye now."


There weren't a lot of cherries in that bowl. Just a serving of grit, backbone and resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment