Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Playing dog ownership for laughs

Am I the only dog owner in America who doesn't have a laugh line to toss out when strangers pause to pet one of my pups?

A while back I ran into a dog walker who said, in a perfect deadpan, that Diego, his curly-tailed mixed breed, "loves everybody, unless you're a woodchuck or a fence post."

Then, just last week I stopped to chat with an elderly man who was walking his 11-year-old beagle, Rosy. Rosy has slowed down a bit since her younger days, her owner said. "She doesn't chase rabbits anymore," he added. "Now they chase her."

I'd like to think that Aquinnah, our chocolate lab, and Martha, a pit bull/lab mix, are such accomplished comics they don't need any help from me in the humor department when we encounter folks on the street. Perhaps I'm just the straight man. That's better than contemplating the alternative, which is that I'm one of those people who just isn't quick with a quip.

No comments:

Post a Comment