Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Failing to set priorities

When I went out for my stroll at 9 o'clock this morning, the sun had burned off the fog and the temperature was a balmy and comfortable 56 degrees. As I rounded a corner, I spotted a woman several yards ahead of me, walking her dog.

The woman's head was down. She never raised it during the few minutes it took me to overtake her; it remained locked in position. From behind, her hands were invisible. She was paying no attention to her dog, her surroundings, or the morning's glory.

I surmised what was going on even before I reached her, and if you're reading this, you probably have as well. Sure enough, as I walked by, I saw that she was busily texting, with her eyes and both hands fully focused on her phone. If she saw me at all, it was only out of the corner of her eye.

Albert Einstein once warned: "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." That day has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment