Sunday, May 31, 2020

I don't have a positive attitude about positivity

Unfortunately, “positivity” seems to be a popular word these days, even though it sounds like jargon cooked up by a committee of exhausted bureaucrats at the end of a five-hour meeting in a windowless room. Plus, it sounds vaguely medical. (“Positivity? Oh no! He should see a dermatologist about that.”)

Yet as much as I hate “positivity” (the word, not the concept), I have no problem with “creativity” or “negativity,” which end in the same three syllables.

In my defense, it was Ralph Waldo Emerson who said: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." There's just no denying my negativity about positivity, a perfectly pointless synonym for what once was called a positive attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment